RE: RN GOLF MANAGEMENT, LLC, application #A 2012-HM-020 under sect(s). 18-301 of the Zoning Ordinance.
David Burns, Board Member & VP Legal Affairs: “Rescue Reston is optimistic that after the BZA has fully considered the record presented at today’s hearing it will uphold the decision of the Zoning Administrator to maintain the Reston National Golf Course as open space. We thank the supporters who attended the hearing to help present the community’s views as well as over 5,300 petitioners. We also thank the Reston Association for fighting on behalf of its members for open space. Our members look forward to a positive outcome, and to being able to continue to enjoy the golf course as an integral part of our community.”
For Interviews CONTACT:
Connie Hartke, President, Rescue Reston 571-205-8874
David Burns, VP – Legal Affairs, Rescue Reston 703-581-5280
You may want to familiarize yourself with Rescue Reston attorney’s letter to the Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA). If you opt to speak at the hearing, you do not need to talk about the legal arguments – our attorneys have that covered. It’s more important that you speak about how the redevelopment of the golf course would affect you financially and personally.
Below are links to the letter and the exhibits listed in the letter. These are separate files because some of the files are quite large. Exhibits 9 and 10 contain the details of the argument from 2012.
Wednesday, January 21:
12000 Government Center Parkway
Fairfax, VA 22035 (map)
- Arrive by 8:30am – be in the auditorium at 8:45am for group photo
- Come for group photo even if you can’t stay for the entire hearing
- Wear a Rescue Reston shirt or anything bright yellow/green to show solidarity
- If you’d like to speak:
- Call 703-324-1314 to register for Application No. A 2012-HM-020
- You are not required to register, but doing so ensures you are one of the first to speak
- When speaking:
- Start by stating your name and address and, if representing an organization, give the name of the organization
- If you are speaking as an individual, you will have 3 minutes; however, you may be told you only have 2 minutes, depending on the number of speakers.
- If you are speaking on behalf of an organization, you will have 5 minutes.
Note: Only one speaker per organization is allowed.
- Carpool with friends/neighbors/coworkers (sign up at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f094badac2ea6f49-carpool)
- The hearing will only be postponed for inclement weather if:
- Fairfax County offices (not just schools) are closed
- Unscheduled leave for Fairfax County employees is announced
If you did not attend the Rescue Reston Rally on Saturday, 1/10/15 at Langston Hughes Middle School, here’s your chance to see what you missed!
- Mack.Johnson‘s excellent musicianship
- Informative and inspirational speakers
- Connie Hartke, President, Rescue Reston
- Ken Knueven, President, Reston Association
- Colin Mills, Past President, Reston Citizens Association and Chair of Reston Association’s Community Engagement Advisory Committee
- John Lovaas, Longtime Sierra Club member and Host of Reston Impact
- Carol Molesky, Coach, South Lakes High School Golf Coach
- Ray Wedell, Realtor®, RE/MAX Gateway
- John Pinkman, Founder & Board Member, Rescue Reston
We’ve packaged the event into four separate videos so you can listen to the speakers of your choice. Tomorrow we are one week from the BZA Hearing – get familiar with the issues, get ready to show your support for Reston on January 21 at the Fairfax County Government Center!
Video 1: Connie Hartke
Video 2: Ken Knueven & Colin Mills
Video 3: Carol Molesky, John Lovaas & Ray Wedell
Video 4: John Pinkman
Share with your friends & neighbors!
More than 300 people attended the Rally to Save Open Space on Saturday, January 10! Rescue Reston president Connie Hartke talked about the history of the situation, current status, and what to expect at the BZA Hearing on January 21. Other community leaders spoke about the challenge we face and reminded the crowd that our united voice has the power to influence the outcome. Visit our Facebook page to see more photos from the event.
Come to the
Rally to Save Open Space
Saturday, January 10, 2015, 2:00-3:00pm
Hughes Middle School Cafeteria
11401 Ridge Heights Road
Reston, VA 20191 (map)
You can read the press coverage from Reston Now and the Fairfax Times.
Rescue Reston and Reston Association Press Conference
Wednesday, January 7, 2015, 10:00-11:00am
12001 Sunrise Valley Drive
Reston, VA 20191
Hear details of the January 10 rally and what to expect at the January 21 BZA hearing